A blockchain fight, the GoDaddy and .com auctions were among the top stories last month.
A big topic in July was a brewing fight in the world of blockchain domain names. Here’s a look at the top stories on Domain Name Wire from the past month:
1. Unstoppable Domains goes after rival HNS .wallet – I’m lumping these stories into one as they would otherwise dominate the entire list. Unstoppable Domains, a corporate-backed company that offers blockchain-based domain names, sued Gateway.io, a registry/registrar service for Handshake domains. Gateway.io recently started offering .wallet domains, which Unstoppable also offers. While you can’t trademark a top-level domain, Unstoppable says the first company to offer a blockchain-based domain should get the exclusive rights to it. Gateway.io went out of business following the lawsuit, but it looks like a bigger foe might step in to defend Handshake: Namecheap.
2. I just spent $8,692.71 on domain renewals. Here’s how I decided what to keep – I went through my process of renewing my domains en masse.
3. GoDaddy improves expired domain withdrawals, expands API access – Customers should have fewer canceled purchased domains and can now use the Auction API for closing purchase.
4. Verisign’s domain base plummeted last quarter. Is this the .com pic? – I go over some of the reasons why the domain base is down, and Verisign confirmed/added to this in its earnings call.
5. .com prices go up at the end of next month – Be sure to renew your domains before the end of August to save money.
Missing podcasts? Listen here or on your podcast app.
Trademarks on Blockchain Domains – DNW Podcast #398
Overview of the DomainAgent Market – DNW Podcast #397
Domain Name Legal Time Part II – DNW Podcast #396
Domain Name Legal Time – DNW Podcast #395