They are the fastest growing and largest domain name registrars for .com domains.
ICANN has released the latest official data from Verisign (NASDAQ: VRSN) on the .com namespace. This Registrar-by-Registrar report covers June 2022.
June ended the second quarter of the year and Verisign reported a decline in the total number of .com domains under management during that quarter.
GoDaddy’s count was so low during the month that I had to double-check my calculations. Last year there were about 750,000 new registrations in June.
But as a sign of life, a Chinese registrar (eName) appeared on the new registration board for the first time in recent memory. Realtime Register, which occasionally appears on the list, also makes an entry.
It’s also worth noting that TurnCommerce has overtaken Alibaba as the largest registrars by total number of .com domains under management. Alibaba lost about a quarter of a million domains month-over-month.
Here’s how registrars fared in terms of new .com registrations in June:
1. GoDaddy.com* (NYSE: GDDY) 666,656 (753,831 in May)
2. Namecheap Inc. 272032 (279010)
3. Newfold Digital+ 179 971 (203 513)
4. Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOGL) 164277 (179391)
5. Tucows** (NASDAQ:TCX) 119,296 (133,518)
6. TurnCommerce 119,145 (124,459)
7. BV real time register 93 691
8. Dynadot 87,555 (101,447)
9.Wix 79,292 (89,673)
10. Electronic name 73 341 73 342
Here is the ranking of the top registrars by total number of .com registrations under management as of the end of June.
1. GoDaddy* 56,336,714 (56,407,134 in May)
2. Newfold Digital+ 13,028,412 (13,161,970)
3. Tucows** 11,729,286 (11,831,998)
4. Namecheap 8,499,204 (8,437,730)
5. TurnCommerce++ 6,009,004 (5,945,061)
6.Alibaba 5,719,383 (5,961,540)
7. Google 5,582,519 (5,499,843)
9.CentralNic ##3,441,642 (3,451,049)
10. NameSilo 2,744,746 (2,755,185)
Many domain companies have multiple accreditations and I have tried to capture the most important ones. See notes below.
* Includes GoDaddy, Wild West Domains, Uniregistry, GoDaddy Corporate Domains and 123 Reg
** Includes Tucows, Enom, Ascio and EPAG
+ Includes PDR, Domain.com, FastDomain, Bigrock, Network Solutions, Register.com, SnapNames Registrars and Crazy Domains/Dreamscape. There are other Newfold registrars, but these are the biggest ones.
++ Includes NameBright and DropCatch registrars
# Includes 1&1, PSI, Cronon, United-Domains, Arsys and world4you
## Includes Key-Systems, 1API, Internet.bs, TLD Registrar Solutions, RegistryGate, Moniker, Instra